Thursday, November 17, 2011

Walk A Mile In Their Shoes

Today at work one of my favorite patrons seemed sadder than usual. She always has a smile for you, she always wants to know how you are and she means it. She reads a lot and comes to visit us at the library every week. I just love her.

I could see the sadness on her face and I knew that her husband had been battling cancer for awhile. I was almost afraid to ask, "Is everything okay?"

She told me that her husband had just had a bad report from his doctor, her sister was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. "I am a breast cancer survivor you know, it runs in our family."  I did not know.

Her nephew, while coming home to be by his mother's side, was in  a horrible car wreck and ended up having his hand amputated.

I did not know what to say, and while I struggled to come up with any words that could make her feel better she said,
"But our son just got engaged and I am thankful for good news."
We all experience good and bad in our lives, some people have to go through horrible things. Some people go tthrough things you can't imagine. Some people let their saddness ruin their lives and make them bitter and hateful. Some people don't let the heartbreak they know define them.

I hope to be one of those people....

1 comment: